April 18, 2023
Future Oxford Legacy Fund now accepting applications
Deadline for the spring intake for community sustainability support grants is May 15; applications for loans accepted year-round
Applications for loans and grants under the Future Oxford Legacy Fund are now being accepted to support local projects and businesses that help sustain Oxford’s community, economy and environment.
The Future Oxford Legacy Fund has been helping local businesses, entrepreneurs, and not-for-profit organizations with access to capital loans and grants since 2016. During this time $898,613 in loans and $39,163 in grants has been dispersed, helping to create and maintain 203 local jobs.
Administered by Community Futures Oxford, the Future Oxford Legacy Fund disperses funds in two streams:
Community Development Support (grants)
This stream offers non-repayable loans to not-for-profit initiatives that align with sustainable actions in the Future Oxford Community Sustainability Plan. Applications are accepted in two intakes, once in the spring and again in the fall. The application deadline for the spring intake is May 15, 2023, at 11:59 p.m.
Access to Capital (loans)
The “Access to Capital” stream provides funding for entrepreneurial activities with an emphasis on youth opportunities, arts and culture, tourism, high-tech manufacturing, and green technology. Successful applicants, including private businesses, can receive financing of up to $100,000 through a repayable loan with flexible repayment terms. Applications are accepted year-round.
Applicants for both streams must demonstrate a sustainable business model and alignment to the environment, economy, and community goals of the Future Oxford Community Sustainability Plan. The Future Oxford multi-criteria assessment tool is used to determine if requests for funding and investment meet these goals.
To apply now, visit https://cfoxford.ca/services/community-economic-development/ on the Community Futures Oxford website.
2022 Community Development Support and Access Capital recipients
The Future Oxford Legacy Fund provided nearly $110,000 to support local sustainability projects in 2022:
- Huron Park Secondary School to develop a Sustainability Challenge where over 150 grade nine science and geography students worked together to find ways to improve the school and community using UN Sustainability Goals.
- Wellkin Child and Youth Mental Wellness to help create the Brightside Youth Hub, which provides a one-stop shop for youth to access local services including support for mental health and addiction counselling, primary care, drop-in, and wellness activities.
- Ingersoll Kiwanis Club to assist in the expansion of the Saturday morning seasonal Farmer’s Market at the Ingersoll Town Hall parking lot.
- Oxford Rural Entrepreneurs, a collaboration between Rural Oxford Economic Development Corporation, Community Futures Oxford, Oxford County Library and volunteer businesses proposed launching a networking event series for rural entrepreneurs.
- Ingersoll District Chamber of Commerce partnered with Community Employment Services, the Town of Ingersoll, and the City of Woodstock Economic Development departments for a career fair to promote employment opportunities in Ingersoll and the surrounding area.
- Renaissance Condo Board was awarded funds to help with the installation of organic waste digesters and is working with Zero Waste Oxford to encourage organic waste diversion on multi-residential properties.
- Ingersoll Products Incorporated received a $100,000 loan under the Access to Capital stream. This loan helped them to maintain 31 new jobs at the private label manufacturer.
About Future Oxford
Future Oxford: A Community Sustainability Plan is Oxford County’s plan for how we will sustain and grow community, environmental and economic resources to thrive together now and in the future. The plan is guided by volunteers and partners who are advancing the Future Oxford Community Sustainability Plan through collaboration, education and promotion. For more information and to read the Plan online, visit www.futureoxford.ca.
About Community Futures Oxford
Oxford Small Business Support Centre Inc.,operating asCommunity Futures Oxford,contributes to sustainable communities supported by economic stability, growth and job creation in Oxford County, enabled through diversified and competitive local economies. Community Futures Oxford operates as an independent non-profit organization and as such, is overseen by a volunteer board of directors.